Gardens in Red Fort Delhi
A Persian-style formal garden (charbagh) divided into four parts by water channels, occupies the north-east sector of the fort. It is known as the Hayat Baksh Bagh (Life-Giving Garden). On its west side this was formerly linked with another garden, now lost the Mahtab Bagh (Moon Garden).
Two small garden pavilions survive: the Bhadon Mahal (August Pavilion) to the north and the Sawan Mahal (July Pavilion) to the south. Their names refer to the months of Delhi's monsoon, when it was considered pleasant to sit within enjoying the cooling rain and breezes, which brought relief from the heat. In the central tank, the small island pavilion was added by the last Mughal emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar II, in 1842.
The Shah Burj watch tower, at the north- east corner of the fort, served as a further viewing point for the entertainments below. Water was drawn up to this tower from the river Yamuna via an aqueduct, and channeled directly southward through the royal pavilions.